Saturday, August 21, 2010

Breastfeeding!

My little man is about to turn 1!!

  I have managed to continue breastfeeding to this day! Breastfeeding by no means is always a happy little walk in the park. You constantly have a little one attached at the hip because no one can feed him but you. It causes any attempts to have a life outside of home not easy. It can be painful sometimes (usually just in the first 2 weeks) and for me personally cause back problems. I can only blame myself for that though because I don't use good posture when I nurse.

  But the positives are overwhelming enough to want to do it. It does take some effort and willpower. The positives I have found to help me going -


NO BOTTLES! I hate washing bottles! You always wonder if you washed them enough. If the water in your tap is really clean and if the soap is enough. (it usually is just fine, but moms tend to get paranoia about their babies :)

I hate the smell of formula! It is so nasty!! Going in and coming out! And making sure the water you use to mix is clean and the right temperature is too much for me. Annoying...

When they are newborns and you are trying to feed them because they are crying, it is so much nicer to open a shirt and feed, then the alternative. (pick up the baby. usually doing it one handed to keep the baby calm. get the bottle. get warm water. measure and pour formula in bottle without spilling. shake it up and hope the lid is on the right way. yes, I have put it on crooked before, spraying milk everywhere. double check temperature. And FINALLY feed the baby.) Bah humbug!

This is just the personal things I like that don't include the obvious health benefits for baby AND mom!

So, even though there were days when I felt like quitting, I continued. And that makes me happy and proud! He is such a lovey baby and I'm glad I get to snuggle him close to eat when he is hungry. :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so stinkin' proud of you Emily. I really am. Woohoo for mama milk!!

    ReplyDelete